Monday, September 8, 2014

Dine in a (Cool) School @ Ecole P, Damansara Uptown

I've been wanting to go give Ecole P a try ever since it opens its doors earlier this year but waited for a few more months and now they are in almost every list of cafes to visit! I must first mention that I know both the young owners - Steven and Irene who were students at the university from my previous job and am damn proud of them. :)
The tiny cafe located on a second floor just few doors away from the famous Village Nasi Lemak is not only a cafe that photography addicts will surely love, but also a place to bring us down the memory lane! As 'Ecole P' says it as 'primary school' in French, the cafe looks nothing less than a primary school you and me have gone to. Wooden desks with graffiti 'conteng-ed' with 'liquid paper', those literally piece-of-cloth curtains, a real classroom-looking classroom, canteen-looking counter selling old school snacks that you and me missed, even those familiar-looking Chinese Han Yu Ping Yin dictionary! Who doesn't have that when one was in Chinese primary school???
Creative menu!
Teacher will normally go: I don't want to go toilet. 
You can sense the effort put into decorating the entire cafe!
Junk food that we love!
I used to write my crushes' names on the desk when I was a student! :p
Cutlery in a steel pencil case? Too cool!!!
While I'm certain many bloggers would come here because of the setting which is perfect for photography, one must not forget that we were also there to sample their food and drinks! A look at their menu, you'll know they love putting a twist into everything and if you know me well, I definitely love that! 
Little childhood snacks were given as complimentary snacks.
Fish A La Laksa Pasta, RM 16.90.
Chicken Chop, RM16.90.
Once again, this is going to be a non-bias review. My plate of Fish A La Laksa Pasta despite the creativity wasn't that satisfying mainly because the spaghetti itself just couldn't absorb the flavour of the Laksa soup. The fish was very nicely done though! The Chicken Chop is however, truly a MUST-TRY' item! Chicken Chop was perfectly deep fired with such flavour bursting out as you bite on it and the crispiness of the skin is unbelievable! The mashed potato and its gravy was super awesome too! Try to do a treasure hunt here and you'll find some fish biscuits in the patotoes! How cute!
If not because we were too full, we would have gone for the Nasi Lemak dessert (curious much?)!
PB Tiramisu (served in a tapao plastic bag!), RM10.90. 
Flat White (served in a Kopitiam  coffee cup), RM9.90.
I gave the Ice-Blended Peanut Butter Tiramisu a try and I'm quite in love with it although the peanut butter sort of overtook all other flavours in the drink. I'm a PB fans yo! Deardo had a Flat White and it was not very impressive, beans a bit too bland to our liking. Steven was a cocktail/mocktail champion during his university time so I'm sure I will be back to try their mocktails which have cute names such as Powerpuff Girls and Ironman! :)
The place actually made us feel a bit old! LOL!
The cafe hasn't started charging any extra tax or service charge, so we paid RM54.60 for our late lunch, which is very reasonable. In fact, with the dishes priced at RM16,90, it is considered very affordable as compared to prices in other well-known cafes around town! 
Overall, the cafe has not only scored in terms of theme but also serves one of the best, unique and economical dishes among cafes in town! I'm really proud of Steven and Irene and would encourage you all to try Ecole P out! 

Ecole P
1st Floor, Jalan SS21/37,
Damansara Utama,
Petaling Jaya,
Selangor
Tel: 03-7732 9711

2 comments:

Yannie said...

The concept of this cafe is so unique. I find Fish A La Laksa Pasta looking good.

ShiRLeXia said...

Hi Yan!

Yup! The concept is really very outstanding and you can see how much an effort they put in just to source for those stuff! :)