Friday, September 20, 2013

Homemade Portuguese Egg Tarts

My first sweet pastry attempt peeps!

Well, undeniably, Portuguese Egg Tart is one of my favourite pastries and I'm not really a fan of sweet pastries! So when I first saw Hayley making her own Portuguese Egg Tart I got excited cos it really doesn't look very difficult to make!
I made my egg tarts following the recipe in her blog and this blog, only difference is I used brown sugar instead of white sugar because that's the only type of sugar I have at home! Anyway, here we go...

What you need: 
120g UHT whipping cream
120g sugar
4 egg yolks
2 tbsp of cornflour
520g full-fat fresh milk
Few drips of vanilla extract
Puff Pastry (I bought these and I used up about four sheets of the pastry)

What to do:
1) In a medium size cooking pot, pour in the cream.
2) Add in the sugar.
3) Now, the egg yolks.
4) Then the cornflour for thickening purpose.
5) Finally, pour in the milk.
6) With a mixer, mix the ingredients up well.
7) Then put the pot over a medium-low fire and cook while stirring.
8) Turn off the fire when the mixture is thick enough to coat the pot thinly. 
9) Remove the pot and put it in water bath. Add in the vanilla extract.
10) Stir well and let it cool.
11) I then moved on to lay the pastry onto my muffin trays.
12) Preheat the oven to 220c (Hayley's recipe said 250c but it really burnt my egg tarts so I guess it depends on your oven too), then pour in the mixture into your pastry shells. 
13) Bake the egg tarts for 30-35 minutes.
14) Lay the egg tarts on wire rack till cool, then you can enjoy your egg tarts right away with some tea or coffee! :)
First batch, fresh from the oven!!!
The mixture really made ngam ngam 18 egg tarts, which was enough to keep for the next few days. Keep in the fridge without a lid on (make sure your fridge doesn't have any weird smell) and heat up with oven or toaster oven again whenever you wanna eat them.
Although my first batch of egg tarts were quite burnt on the pastry (the egg mixture is supposed to be slightly burnt, that is like the uniqueness of Portuguese egg tarts), the second batch turned out to be just fine after I turn the heat lower.
Second batch!
Just like the Portuguese egg tarts you ate before, they were crispy on the pastry and creamy on the inside! Very nice and it feels really warm to be eating egg tarts from your very own kitchen! I brought some to work and my colleagues enjoyed them too so I think it should be fair to say that it was a success!
Ooooh... Salivating yet? 
Will definitely make this again especially when there are guests coming to our house! :)

2 comments:

Hayley said...

Your title attracted me! Haha xD

Good job there! Looks very presentable, sure very tasty too!

ShiRLeXia said...

Haha!

Thanks Hayley! Yea although the first batch were quite burnt, I was quite glad people who tried them actually love them! :D