Thursday, May 23, 2013

More Summer Movies

The Great Gatsby
I've been waiting for this movie for a long long while because I get to see Tobey Maguire back in the cinema after years! And I thought it would be pretty interesting too to watch him acting with his best friend, Leonardo DiCaprio.
So, The Great Gatsby talks about Nick Carraway's experience with Jay Gatsby, a misunderstood rich guy, who only dream is to impress and get his girl back after five years apart. The movie has a very dramatic and sad ending which is very relevant and interesting.
In my opinion, the story was pretty dramatic, despite a very slow start. It could be done better if the director Baz Luhrmann has chosen to pay more attention to the emotions of each characters rather than the aesthetics and special effects of the movie (the movie was made into 3D as well so you can clearly see a lot of the scenes were forcefully made to suit the 3D motions). So if you are watching the movie for cool effects, cinematography, or even glamorous and gorgeous sets and costumes, you will truly enjoy it much. But for those who are looking forward to well-written and organised story it felt a bit 'not there yet'. 
I for one, really enjoyed looking at the costumes in the movies! Look at those fancy dresses and Leo's pink suit man! The Great Gatsby for Best Costume Design in next year's Oscar!!! 
Tobey Maguire was his usual him as a nerdy guy, just like how you have seen him in Spider Man, and that's just how Nick Carraway is supposed to be. So not much of opportunities for him but he does look better now with slimmer body! Love him! Leonardo gave a strong performance and really made Jay Gatsby's character alive! I love Carey Mulligan but she was just so-so in the movie. Another actors we did pretty well were Aussies Joel Edgerton and Isla Fisher (I wouldn't have recognise her if I didn't already read that she is in the movie earlier!), who both gave the audience very unforgettable performances.
I love the OST too!
I would rate it 6.5 out of 10.

Identity Thief 
Directed by Seth Gordon, who also directed the ridiculously hilarious Horrible Bosses, Identity Thief talks about Diana (Melissa McCarthy) a woman who uses Sandy (Jason Bateman)'s identity to print out credit cards and does all the crimes, which in turns brought troubles to Sandy. And then the journey was for Sandy to look for Diana to clear his name...
While big part of the story line was illogical, Deardo and I did enjoy the movie very much! The script is hilarious and the entire movie is simply entertaining. Plus, the ending brings a lot of messages and meanings so it's not the really dumb comedy you would expect it to be! I mean, I've read quite a lot of bad reviews but personally, I truly enjoyed the movie! :)
Jason Bateman is again, his usual him while Melissa McCarthy gave the character a very good portrayal  which I really salute her for it.
I'll give it an 8 out of 10.

*Next movies I wanna catch are Fast & Furious 6 and The Lone Ranger! How about you? 

No comments: