Monday, June 28, 2010

World Cup fever finally strikes me!

If you have a chance to see Ducum or me today, you'll probably think we look like some zombies...
Well, for our favourite football team's sake, we stayed up till 4 something in the morning just to see them losing the match, thus exiting the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Sigh...

Last night was the first night that I finally started to catch some of the World Cup 2010 matches as the tournament now goes into Last 16. I was so thrilled to be able to be part of the crowd at the Mamak stall to watch the England vs Germany match! The atmosphere with the people cheering, shouting whenever there are goals, or even almost goals was just really cool! I badly miss that man! And I'm so glad I made it there to feel the atmosphere! :pEngland vs Germany, the kick-off moment...
Actually there was quite a big crowd over there, just that I was lazy to stand up and snap a nicer pic.
The match started off with Germany scoring twice, both very beautiful goals, if I'm not mistaken, through Klose and Podolski. They were obviously a better team while England's defense was very painful to watch.Few tables away were Sean, Ducum and I Rene!
Judging from the colour, it looks like Deardo is with England while I'm with Germany!
After a while, Upson scored with a beautiful header, but I really thought England was lucky. They were playing without knowing what they were doing. And then Lampard got lucky again and scored, but was denied by the referee... After a few replay it was obvious it was a goal and I was so freaking mad that it was denied!!!Obviously, THAT WAS A BLOODY GOAL!!!!
Let me make things clear. I'm actually a fan of both teams, although my favourite players Ballack and Beckham are both out due to injuries. So I was basically cheering for both teams while the others stayed loyal to their favourite team. What I was looking forward for was just a good match to watch, especially with loads of suspends, shots on target and goals! And the first half really was quite interesting I thought I made the right choice to watch it. And Lampard's goal would have make it 2-2 and the match would be much more interesting! And I supposed the result would be totally different too.
The disappointed Lampard...
Like in a badminton match, when someone is denied of a point by the linesman, it really will dampened the player's spirit. That is what I think happened to England last night as they just couldn't match Germany anymore in the second half and as it went into 4-1, we left the Mamak stall without finishing the match since it's not fun to watch anymore...

And then Ducum and I waited till 2.30am to watch the Argentina vs Mexico match at home since it was shown on RTM. Forget about England or Germany man, I AM A HUGE MEXICO'S FAN!!! Blur blur punya TV... Lousy...
Ducum says she is still supporting England despite their embarrassing loss.
Because I didn't wear a green shirt, the green container lit will do!
So never mind, Mexico lost. They lost to a way better team, I must say.

But since I'm already talking about Mexico, let me crap about when and why I'm such a fan of Mexico, a bit odd for most of you I guess since they are not really a famous team.
It was back in 1998 when I was still in F2 that my classmate started to ask me to bet on the World Cup back then, which was held in France. And so I watched some of the matches and totally fell in love with the Mexican team, and... The famous Mexican hat too! Back then there were this trio that I really like. They are truly some football legends. They are goalkeeper Jorge Compos, strikers Luis Hernandez and Cuauhtemoc Blanco.Jorge Compos was quite a top goalkeeper back then. Standing at 168cm, he is definitely very short for a goalkeeper. But he was pretty good in saving goals by leaping! And his striking attire always make headlines too! Plus, because he was actually a striker long before he became a goalkeeper, he always love to run far out from the penalty box to kick the ball. Sometimes when Mexico got a penalty, he will be given the chance to take on the penalty. How not to like such a talented goalkeeper with such a cute height?

Luis Hernandez was one of the top scorers in the 1998 World Cup and is by far still one the Mexico's best players of all time. He was really fast and dangerous back then in 1998. I think most soccer fans love him. He has this trademark long blond hair and always have his own style in celebrating a goal! Love him! He is actually my favourite player of all time! Too bad he has already retired...
Here's a goal he scored during the 98 World Cup...


Cuauhtemoc Blanco might be a bit more familiar to you as he was still playing in the ongoing World Cup and was actually a scorer when Mexico beat France 2-0 in their Group A match. Well, FYI, he is actually the oldest player of the tournament! Blanco is especially famous for his trick simply called a 'jump ball'. Watch this video and you will know what I mean...


Well I think I can say I always love underdogs. That is why I love Mexico so much.
Deardo and I are actually betting on whether or not Brazil will make it to the final. I've taken 'NO' just because I love to see underdogs win.
Anyone with me on this one? :p

No comments: