Saturday, May 29, 2010

Coco Avant Chanel (Coco Before Chanel)

I finally watched this movie out of curiousity as a fashion lover.
So as you know, it's a movie based on the life of Coco Chanel, the very famous French fashion designer. As I was expecting loads of beautiful scenes of Coco Chanel's designs, the movie turned to be concentrated to her life more to parading her designs. It talks about her growing up as an orphan, then as a singer and hat designer, and how she fell in love with an English businessman and how he died in a car accident... With probably only about 5 minutes in the end showing her making dresses and the movie finally closed with a fashion show showcasing her designs.
At first I was a bit disappointed, but then I thought hey maybe it's just true that she only started to work harder as a fashion designer as her man died? And I must say the entire film, despite being almost two hours long, isn't really boring. Perhaps it's because Coco Chanel's life is actually quite interesting, perhaps Coco Chanel's cool character is really nice to watch(well at least I think so), perhaps looking at her self-made clothes that are so different compared to the others in that era in the movie just overjoyed me, or perhaps Audrey Tautou just impressed me once again! I really adore her man!
And what I really like about the movie is that it didn't try too hard to make Coco Chanel looks overly great! It's something like watching Ip Man and you'll wonder... Wah~Hai Mai Ah? Yao Mou Gam Wai Dai Ah?(wah, is this true? Is he so perfect or great?). In stead, they just show you her real character and life, like she is not perfect, she slept with different guys, she wished to stick to the rich society, etc... Only this point is enough for me to give a thumb-up for this beautifully made French film!

**Yve Vonn, trust me, you wouldn't want to miss this too!

No comments: