Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Manglish Lesson...

Right, I think some of you may notice, my English is not perfect. I'm not perfect in grammar and I'm very very very (trust me, there are many times of 'very very') bad in spelling. I think the spell check thingy in Words is like the best thing in the whole world! :p
But well, I think I'm not as dumb as those people who did some stupid mistakes some Malaysians made...
A shop located at the Bukit Bintang monorail station..."ALL ITEM START RM10"
It sounds like the item is having a race with something and the starting point is RM10! What the...
I don't really know how to explain what's wrong with it, but I know it should be "ALL ITEMS FROM RM10". I might be wrong, tell me if I'm wrong.
And isn't it suppose to be 'items' in stead of 'item'?

At TGV Sunway Pyramid, I've got two pictures of their notices with English mistakes..."DEAR PATRONS, MOVIE PAINTED SKIN WILL BE START ON FRIDAY..."
Will be start??? WTF??? I think its probably because they just did a direct translate from our lovely Bahasa Melayu. Like urm, 'akan bermula'='will be start'. I think it should be 'will start playing', 'will start' or in my cin cai English term, 'will be on'! Haha...
Second one here, taken not too long ago..."JONAS BRO CONCERT IN 3D, PLEASE RETURN BACK THE 3D GLASSES TO TGV STAFF AT THE EXIT DOOR AFTER THE SHOW END. INCASE THE 3D GLASSES MISSING OR DAMAGE, CUSTOMER ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR IT. RM150 PER PAIR. THANK YOU."
Now this one, I reckon there are mistakes all over!!!
The first thing I noticed and actually laughed was the 'return back'. I'm pretty sure its also translated from Bahasa Melayu, because it has to be 'pulangkan balik'. It should be return, the 'back' has repeated the meaning. I think you don't need the 'door' for the 'exit door' as well. 'Incase the 3D glasses missing or damage, customer are responsible for it' also sounds really wrong. I cannot really think of a proper way, but I would put it this way... 'Customers are responsible for any damage or loss caused'.
TGV needs to take care of these problem seriously because I'm pretty sure some foreigners would be making fun of us because of these somewhat funny notices...

Malaysians also sometimes love mixing their languages. You may find it rather cute sometimes...
Here's a picture I took at one of the stalls at the International Hot Air Balloon Fiesta 2009 last weekend..."COCONUT SHAKE, MANNGA JUICE, ICE BLEND, OREN JUS, EPAL JUS, CARROT SUSU..."
The whole banner is a mix-up of both Bahasa Melayu and English! I'm sure you understand what it says, but... It's still not really good for your kids to learn language like that ok?

Next one was a mistake I made myself for a long long time... Until one day Uncle Yip replied my e-mail with this very interesting English lesson and example...
Yo swthrt, gotcha and BTW... stuff has got no plural form if used as a noun because it is a collective noun, it takes an "s" only if used as a verb such as in the following: Shirlexia Tan is such a fatty because she stuffs her face everyday. : )
TQ very much for the free english lesson today courtesy fooopy.
Well, Uncle Yip definitely enjoy teasing me about me being fat... ==|||
I'm lucky to have know that and stop adding 's' to the word 'stuff' since then. But my housemate definitely needs the free english lesson from Uncle Yip too!"CLARE'S STUFFS"
I will tell her... Clare, my ex-colleauge, Uncle Yip told me, Clare is such a fatty because she stuffs her face everyday!
Kakakakaka....
Truth is, she is bloody skinny lor...:p

Ok guys, thats all for now! See you next time! :)

No comments: